Below you’ll find some popular beginners schedules that will help you run your first mile(s). Do whatever suits you, whether that’s running with an app or a schedule on paper. For the latter sort, just buy a random edition of RunnersWorld or Trail Running Magazine and there’s always something in there that will get you started.
- App: Couch to 5K schedule (9 weeks)
- Podcast: your own NHS coach to guide you from 0 to 5K!
- Some ‘paper’ schedules are available on this website.
- Just ‘google’ ‘Beginners 5K running schedule’ to find more options.
- Read Trail Running Magazine for great stories, pictures and have a look at their race calendar: from 5Ks to Ultras! 6 issues a year for a bargain price!
- Follow great runners, brands and event organisers on social media (Twitter/Facebook). My list consists mainly (OK, only) of trail runners, but there’s road athletes on social media as well, such as Mo Farah and Jo Pavey!
- Jantastic - Start the new year with challenging yourself! The first month you decide how many times you’re going to run, the second month you’ll work on your long runs, and in March you’ll go for a PB!
- Facebook events such as the Marcothon, which means running every day in December
- Use his Pace Calculator to see what average pace you’d need to run for your next PB.
And this page would be useless without my own running club’s website: